You are here

So... WTF!

I've been working on what I thought was my last revision. There were some questions I was asked to address in this revision, and I've been doing that. I got stuck on one question, so I asked the committee members about it. That was on Monday.

I haven't heard anything since and I'm starting to worry. I haven't done any work on my thesis since Monday because that question was the last thing I had to address before setting the defense date.

I can't help but take this to heart. Mainly because of what happened before this.

After the committee meeting we had about my thesis (which was an hour long), I was given a bunch of tasks to tackle. I gladly did so and resubmitted my thesis for what I thought was the final review. I sent it in on Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 5:19 PM. I thought I'd get a notice back in days saying that we'll start getting the defense planning processes going.

It wasn't until Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 11:25 PM that I got a response back that told me basically handle some more comments/questions to take care of before starting to organize the defense date.

I was disappointed because some of the things in the comments were to reverse some thing I had right the first time. So instead of crying and bitching and complaining about it, I just take care of it.

I had the 1 question about the comments before I could finish up the thesis. So I sent my question on Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 2:40 PM. I got nothing back. I don't want to seem like a jerk, but I resent the questions to every email address I could possibly find that would get to whomever needed to see it on Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 2:03 PM. NOTHING!

Today is the 10th at pretty much the end of the business day. I haven't heard anything from anyone. I emailed my advisor at 2:36 PM to see what the hell is going on. I'm waiting patiently for a reply. I was hoping to tie things up on Friday (tomorrow) so that I could at least get the weekend to work on the presentation.

Am I being impatient? Am I being unreasonable? Everyone involved knows that the sooner I finish, the more money I get back, the faster I can get on with my career. When I asked about registering for the summer semester, I was told that "You probably need to register for next semester, but only because _______ is gone from next week to the beginning of May. You should be able to defend the first week of next semester, get your entire tuition back and be done."

Get my entire tuition back? I feel more like I'm being shaken down. I'm not going to end up getting anything back. This is turning out to be one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made. Many recruiters have made it clear that education in Tech isn't as important as experience. How much experience could I have received in the past 3 years I've been doing my masters? Who know...

I asked other people who have already defended how their process was. They basically said "It was straight forward". Everyone I've talked to said this stage of final review and defense took a week at the very most. I'm entering my 3rd week. How should I not take this personally?

All I know is that I'm getting super depressed about this. I want to get out of this, but I can't. And no one is working with me.

If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't. I'm sure there are people out there with a masters have had better experiences with their process. I can only assume I'm a worst case.

I left names out because I'm sure there will be backlash from my comments in this blog post. I'm just trying to minimize the damage.

UPDATE: I just got word that the committee member I'd been sending emails to has been in meetings all week. I guess that's an umbrella excuse for "you and your thesis isn't important to me". No surprise there.

UPDATE #2: When I finally heard back from the person I asked the question, the question was basically a "need to know for the defense" kind of question. If I'd known that, I wouldn't have spent a week scratching my nuts waiting for a response.